Focus on the Ver – Ver Valley Society Members’ photographic competition
It’s time to get your phone or camera out and show everyone just how fascinating The River Ver can be. It’s intended as an informal, fun competition and a chance to share the story of our precious chalk stream, plus there are a few tasty prizes to enjoy too!
We’ll post monthly winners on our website and here are the Ver-themed prizes for the top photos of the year.
All you have to do, is take a photo of something eye-catching, interesting or memorable about the River Ver. You may want to highlight a particular section of the river you know well. You may want to feature the flora or fauna that live on its banks. Or you might want to underline the challenges our chalk stream faces. Originality will count for as much as photographic ability.
Whatever you decide to focus on, give it a go. It’s free to enter. And there is no restriction on age, all members are welcome. (If you are a non-member and would like to take part, there’s nothing to stop you from joining the Society! https://www.riverver.co.uk/join-us/ )
How do I enter?
You can take your photograph on your phone, digital or even a film camera. Whichever you choose to use, simply email us a JPEG no smaller than 1200×674 pixels to the VVS Secretary, Joe Randall
In your email, you please state your name, address and a contact number and give us a few words of background on your photo. If you have a title for your image, please include that too.
One entry per person per month from July to December 2023.
Don’t wait, get started! Entries from 23rd June onwards will count for July.
You can submit one image per member, per month. You have until midnight on the last day of every month to submit your entry.
Remember, VVS membership covers the whole household, so the whole family can join in!
Meet the judges
VVS Committee members Melanie Woods and Joe Randall will judge the monthly competitions and will be joined by an external photographic judge to choose the annual winner. The judges’ decision will be final.
Terms & Conditions
1. Only one entry per member per month is permitted
2. Photographs must be taken in the month of entry (photos from 23rd June onwards, will qualify for July)
3. Entries must be via JPEG, no smaller than 1200×674 pixels. Scans of film entries are permitted.
4. In entering the competition, you agree to allow The Ver Valley Society, to use your image to promote the River Ver in any way they feel fit.
5. You confirm that the image you have submitted is your sole intellectual property and does not impinge on the copyright of an image produced by a third party.
6. Competition only open to bona fide members of the Ver Valley Society for the duration of the competition.
7. Winning entries will be those that, in the opinion of the judges, best capture the spirit of the River Ver or the life along it.
8. The Ver Valley Society, reserve the right to alter or cancel the competition at any time.
9. There is no cash alternative to any prize
10. Send your entries to: Joe Randall. Receipt of entries will be confirmed. No correspondence will be entered into. The winning entries will be announced monthly within 10 days of the end of the month and by January 14th 2024 for the overall winner.